Thursday, September 9, 2004

Uh-oh! Weekend Assignment again!

Weekend Assignment #23: 100 years from now, your great-great-great-grandchild has been assigned to write a school report on your life and times. Help him or her by putting five things in a time capsule. The five things could include something personal or something that typifies the times we live in. One catch: It can't include a version of your AOL Journal (because that would be too easy, that's why).

Extra Credit: Put something in the box that would believe would be completely puzzling -- something they'd look at and say "What the heck is this?"

 

Well, I had better get to updating this more. I'll add it into my evening routine (or my late afternoon one). For those that don't know, I'm a FLYbaby. www.flylady.net Marla (FLYlady) is amazing and I thank God for her mentorship. Well, on to the assignment.

Well, I'd put these five items in to show how my life & these times are going.

1. My journals. I write in it every night, as in pen to paper (not fingers to keyboard). It's far more regular than this journal or my Xanga. (Does this count even though it's a journal? If not, sorry. I'm new at this. To defend myself, you never said not to put in a version of ur AOL Journal. I'm tricky like that!) It shows my thoughts and feelings and what I'm doing with my life so far.

2. The letters I write to an older version of myself and to my future husband. They show how I expect people (men esp.) to treat me and anyone I love and what I expect my life to be like at different ages. My journals show how my life was. I think comparing and contrasting them would be interesting.

3. A mix CD of all my favorite songs (yes, I did borrow this from other journals. I hope you don't mind! It was a great idea). Shows my music taste and reflects the times. Music tells what's happening in the world. Vietnam, JFK's assassination, the crash that took the lives of Richie Valens, J.P. Richardson, and Buddy Holley, and so many more events are reflected in the music of those times. Why should this time be any different?

4. My Bible. It shows my spirituality and belief system. It also has notes in the margins and underlined verses that show how I feel about them. It would give my g-g-g-grandchild a view into my mind on religion.

5. pictures of me, my family, my friends, my crushes, my house, etc. They would know what their ancestors looked like, who I hung out with, who I liked, where I lived, what the world looked like, etc. It's good to know your family.

Extra Credit: my tinkerbell pen. I'm obsessed with Tinkerbell. By that time they probably won't use pens so they'll be like, "What the heck is that?". Then again, we know about how our ancestors used quills to write so maybe they would. Who knows?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I kind of included the same thing as your #3 in my time capsule, only mine is a whole CD catalog of music of the last 100 years (maybe that was cheating to have that as one item?) LOL.

-Michelle