Thursday, October 20, 2005

Flawed Beauty

I remember this one time I went to this mother-daughter makeover thing with my mom. They taught up how to use makeup and what shades were the right ones to use for us and whatnot. I was the youngest person there. It must have been spring of 2001 or fall of 2000. I still see some of the older girls at school so they must have been about 15-16-ish. I remember going to the bathroom when she put the concealer on my face. When I came back, I refused to use it because I didn't want to admit I had flaws. I didn't want to admit that my face had mistakes. Like the bags that are under my eyes. Or the pimples I now get. Or the fact that my nose is always pink. I couldn't admit this when I was 10 or 11. I couldn't admit it. And so I didn't use concealer. I still don't use concealer but for different reasons. I don't use it now because it doesn't look natural because I don't know how to do it. Because I didn't try to do it then. I am NOT perfect. I have dark-circles under my eyes. They are there. They are not possible to ignore. They are the result of heredity, sleep deprivation, and dehydration. My nose is red. Especially when I get cold. My face is PALE. I NEVER have a tan. Even in the summer. I can't run a mile in less than 11 minutes let alone in under 9. I am not perfect. I have flaws. And I will always have them. Those circles under my eyes? They're permanent. I can't even HIDE them most of the time. It is five years later and I know that it's okay to be "flawed". It's okay to ADMIT you have flaws and mistakes and imperfections. Because beauty is not in symetry. It is not in looking perfect. It is in the imperfections, the "mistakes". Cindy Crawford's mole? Some view it as a deformity. It made her famous. Guess what? I have a mole EXACTLY like that only on the left side of my face. I've gotten comments on my "imperfection". Positive comments. I have big brown eyes. That I love. Maybe I'm not a size zero, blue-eyed, big boobed, tiny waisted blonde. But I am a size 5, brown-eyed, small chested brunette with a J.Lo butt and the hips to go with it. And would I change places with a blue-eyed, size zero, blonde if I could? Sometimes. But I LOVE my eyes. I LOVE the gorgeous colors in my hair. I wouldn't have big boobs even if I could. And that J.Lo butt and hips sure do get noticed on the dance floor for all the right reasons. Some consider brown hair or a small chest flaws. Some think being a size five with hips is horrific. I don't see it that way. I have "flaws". I have "imperfections". But I say, God made me the way I am for a reason. And I intend to use it to my advantage. The guy for me will love my brown hair and my small chest rather than lusting after a busty blonde. I am not what the media would see as perfect. I am not what some see as beautiful. By their standards, I am imperfect. I am flawed. And I am ugly. But by admitting my "flaws" and owning up to them, I accept them and I embrace them. And I become beautiful in my confidence.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I liked this entry alot. Its funny because I was thinking about this topic lately. You shouldnt worry about a thing, Vickey. God created you uniquely. No two people are the same, and that is what amazing. Your a gift from God. I really hope you realize this. Not everyone may see your inner beauty, but God sure does.

love you,
meg <3

Anonymous said...

Well hello! Liz matched me up with you so here I am, eager to meet yet another young friend. How old am I? LOL WAY OLD but young at heart; 69 to be exact. I just read your journal and must tell you I AM IMPRESSED. Know what? I love ya sight unseen. I'm married to my best friend; celebrating our 32nd anniversary this Dec. 31st, have six adult children and over 32 grandchildren and great grand-
Children. I have five online journals, one of them a story journal, love cooking, crafts, music, reading, hiking, collecting music boxes, salt and pepper shakers, and small perfume bottles; anything that gets my attention. Jesus is my dearest friend. I love people, more than things...and must say goodbye sooner than I wanted too. Have to help my hubby do something. Nice meeting you. Will be back again. OH>>>and don't ever change. I have a feeling you're pretty special just as you are.
Love & prayers
Barb- http://journals.aol.com/barbpinion/HEYLETSTALK

Anonymous said...

Hello Vickey..
I just read your lovely comment to Lisa (for the Doors of the Season)
and I read that you speak German : )
I speak it too! fluently..
but Im not so good with writing it or spelling ; P
So we have something in common now : )
may be the next time we chat, we can chat in German.

talk to you soon!
much love- Liz
Aufveiterzehen!

Anonymous said...

I love your sense of self doll :)  You are a beautiful girl and this honesty just makes it even more apparent.
Girl, let me tell you ...if I could count everything I think is a flaw I'd probably run out of body parts ;)~  If I had a dime for every time someone pointed out what they thought was a flaw, I'd be a billionaire.  Some people will love it, some will not....and for every guy that doesn't like a feature there will be 10 that do!

Concealor?!  I use it religiously ;)  I have horrible circles under my eyes, they've gotten worse over the years (especially post child!) and I have a few red spots on my forehead.  Use a small brush (like a lipstick brush) and dab the concealer on by patting the brush against your skin...then gently pull it outwards like you're painting....dab or pat your finger around the edges to blend it in and then dust a little powder over it.  If you try it, I hope it helps :)
~*XOXOXO*~
~Bernadette