Wednesday, March 2, 2005

Looooooong memory

The week preceding July 20, 2003 was my first week ever at Circle C. From the 14th until the 19th, I lived in Annie Oakley 4 with half a dozen other girls including Lindz. On the nineteenth, we had our last ceremony before getting picked up. The Daltons won. :( Dad came while Lindz and I were playing pool. I knew Mom's wedding was the next day and I didn't know how or when I was getting there. Dad came instead of Lindsay's parents. We were both shocked to see him. He told me that I wasn't going to Mom's wedding and that I was sleeping at my aunt's house. I stalked out of Miss Kate's and into Annie Oakley 4, going through the front. I sat on what had been Jaclyn's bunk but she had left already so it was free. I sat there, crying because I couldn't go to Mom's wedding. Kayce, my counselor that week, had answered my every question and was absolutely wonderful. She came in and found me crying and asked what was wrong and let me (literally) cry on her shoulder. I finally calmed down and went out on the front porch to watch the rodeo/skit.

Eventually, we got in the car and on our way with Lindz and I in the back doing cheers and singing songs we had learned (or relearned in her case) that week. I don't remember most of the trip but I remember stopping at some rest stop so we could all use the rest room. I stayed in the car. We dropped Lindz off and went home for me to repack. All I wanted was a night in my own bed but I couldn't have even that.

That night as I lay reading my Bible, I prayed. I had prayed earlier at camp before Kayce found me but had sort of blamed God for this and tried to tell Him what to do. That night, I let it go. I told Him that I really wanted to go but if it wasn't in His plan for me that I'd be okay with it. If I was meant to go, I asked that He find a way. He did. My aunt woke me up the next morning far earlier than I wanted to. "Vickey. Get up. Your dad'll be here in a minute. You're going to your mom's wedding." I will never forget those words. Within ten minutes, I was up and my stuff together. I was still in my PJ's, mind you, but I was up and my teeth were brushed and it was barely 7 after a week at camp. I packed (again) when we got to Dad's and got dressed. Not in my dress for the wedding. I was borrowing a dress from Mom.

My uncle and his girlfriend (Lori) picked me up and we drove down. Longest two hours ever. We went to Mom's so a) we could drop our stuff and b) we could all change. We went to the place of the wedding (which also was Ray's work) and I was lead to the bathroom where Mom was getting ready. My aunt Tammy (Dad's sister) was there and so was Aunt Bonnie (her sister). I hadn't seen them in forever! Tracy, whom I had not meet before that day, was supposed to be my Mom's bridesmaid and Kristy was her maid of honor. Kristy didn't show. Tracy was her maid of honor and I got to be her bridesmaid. I was shocked that she choose me. She had other friends and family there but she choose me. :)

The ceremony got underway and Uncle AJ walked Mom down the aisle. 1 Corinthians 13 was read, candles were lit in memory/honor of parents and grandparents, and roses given to the children (Joey, Richie, Samantha, and I). They had written their own vows.

Tracy's husband is the band's lead singer. I have one of their CD's. The song Mom and Ray danced to (after smashing cake all over each other) was called My Woman, My Friend. A bunch of pictures were taken (some of which I'll include if I find the picture CD) and after about an hour, Mom and I left to bring Sami to the babysitter's (Colleen "Dirty Feet"). That is when the photo that inspired this entry was taken. Mom just recently found it. Here it is for your viewing pleasure......

When we got back, my aunt's had left. There was dancing and food. Some of the guys filled up the back of Ray's truck with foam (the stuff on the top of the sink when you wash dished) and balloons. Great fun to play in. Oh, and the toast. I had Pepsi in my wineglass while the adults in the wedding party had wine, champagne, and beer.

 <~My wineglass

I also tried beer and wine for the first time. Right before I ran for the lemonade. They had a giant obstacle course set up that I went on (after changing into jeans, of course). I raced my stepdad and I beat him. It was great.

To find out more about my stepdad's job, visit www.bobbyk.com.

That's all for this entry.

Love always,
Vickey

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just found your journal thanks to plug on the UKHostBks site in the UK.

Got you on my alerts now!
http://journals.aol.co.uk/sdrogerson/SpecimenDays/

Anonymous said...

Vickey, I'm so glad you got to go to your Mum's wedding, I'm sure it made her day you being there :o)
And you were her bridesmaid!  
That's really sweet.
Nice pic of you, your Mum and the little one.
Sara   x

Anonymous said...

what a sweet story!  I'm so glad you got to go to your moms wedding, it looks like it was a great day ;)
xoxo~Bernadette

Anonymous said...

How excellent that you did get to go to your mom's wedding. What an aweful feeling you would have had to carry with you if you'd missed that. Sounds like a god time was had by all! What a wonderful photo... can't wait to see MORE. Hint hint. Thanks for sharing this treasured memory.