Saturday, December 18, 2004

Weekend Assignment

Weekend Assignment #39: Tell us about the toy you had to have for the holidays when you were a kid, only to find out it was kinda disappointing once you had it.

Extra Credit: Tell us the most unrealistic holiday gift request you ever made.

I have come to the conclusion that I am a spoiled brat who doesn't deserve much for Christmas (but that new coat is an exception since I can't survive a Rochester winter without one). Two years ago, I wanted Shrinky Dinks more than anything. I begged for 'em. I wanted them. No matter what the cost. (Okay, so maybe I wasn't that gung-ho about them but, I did really really want 'em.) Christmas morning came around and guess what I got? Shrinky Dinks! and a million other things. I never even opened the package! No, wait. I take that back. I opened it later that day, in my room and I broke it! I put the thing in the thing and it wouldn't come out and I hid it away in my closet until we moved. I don't even know if we still have it now! I was such a brat. This year, my list is much shorter than years past and doesn't include the words "Dear Santa". We've basically given that up. Come to the conclusion that he's not real without being told and now he's mentioned only with sarcasm and jest. "What do you want Santa ::sarcasm:: to get you this year, honey?" "Hahaha, Dad." I believed with all my heart until before sixth grade. I was in NYC, Central Park, and the Land Shark (aka Scott, my stepgrandpa) (How in the dickens did Red and I come up with that anyhow?) was making fun of Red (my aunt Julia who I annoyed by calling her Auntie Red) and said something about how, "Yeah, and I bet you still believe in Santa Claus, too." My gramma imediatly looked over at me. I was hurt at first, "What do you mean? Santa's real!" was what part of me was screaming inside. I covered my hurt quickly with a look like, "It's okay, Gramma. I know he's not real. No problem." but I thought, "Whatever, Land Shark. Santa's real no matter what you say." I still haven't really stopped believing that. Santa may not be a "real" person but, he was once. His spirit will live on forever. My children will believe. But, I digress. (I LOVE THAT PHRASE!)

Extra credit: One year, I wrote to Santa, "I know you can't/won't give me a real pony so, here's what I'd like instead..." I got a letter on Christmas morning (the year before my parents split, fyi) attached to the neck of a plasticpony who looked like Black Beauty. It said, "You were wrong. I do give out ponies. Merry Christmas. Santa" I loved that horse and that note. I got a blanket and saddle for my horse as well. I made her a necklace out of a bead kit I got and made my Amazing Amy doll ride her. I started horseback riding that spring.

Love always,
Vickey

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well of course Santa is real, he leaves me a present every year at my Mum's house!!!  He just doesn't come to people that don't believe!!  Not planning to test that theory by not buying presents this year though ;o)
Sara   x

Anonymous said...

That's a cute story.  I tell Pey that the Spirit of Santa Claus is what lives, every year I tell her about Kris Kringle and how he made toys for all the children of his village and loaded them on a sleigh to deliver them.  It's all about the spirit of giving.  
**We tire of those pleasures we take, but never of those we give.**
~John Petit-Senn~

I got into horseback riding because of my Breyer Horse models.  My very first one was Black Beauty.  After a few years his front leg broke, but I would prop him up on this perfect little rock that I found.  I took them to horse 'model' shows and he won first place in the 'most loved' category!  Cheese huh?  But I loved him, and now miss him ;)

I hope you have a wonderful Christmas this year doll!
xoxo~B

Anonymous said...

Shrinky-Dinks can be great if you ignore the stuff that comes with 'em and just work with the plastic sheets.  I've made Shrink-Dink ornaments for lots of things that wouldn't have had ornaments otherwise, such as favorite bands and comic book characters.

I love that note that came with the plastic horse.  (Breyer?)

Karen