Saturday, January 29, 2005

Weekend Assignment #45

Weekend Assignment #45: It's karaoke time. Pick a song to sing and explain why you chose it. Note that not everyone sings the song you expect them to sing: I remember being at a karaoke bar one time and watching a six-foot bald guy with a gravelly voice and a tattoo on his neck sing Olivia Newton John's "Have You Never Been Mellow?" And it was brilliant. So by all means, reach for the stars here. This isn't American Idol.

Extra Credit: Recall the worst karaoke performance you ever heard (or, if you're brave, ever performed). You can change the names to protect the guilty if you like.

 

Okay, so what ONE song would I sing and why? At the moment it would be that Patty Loveless song "How Can I Help You to Say Good-bye?" and I would dedicate it to Lindz. This song has meant different things to me over the years and it's just taken on a new one. It became special to me when I moved in fifth grade. It symbolized me letting go of my friends and my town. It was my release. Every time I heard it I would cry because it reminded me of the dear friends and the dear town I left. Gradually, I didn't cry anymore. Then Liz moved. And it made me cry because I missed her. I literally fell down on the kitchen floor crying from it one time. Then last night happened. Lindz and I were talking online and we've been discussing this for a while but last night we both were breaking down. We were talking about whether I should move or not. And she told me to move. Regardless of the fact that I would be moving 100 miles and that I wouldn't be here with her anymore, she told me to move. Because moving would make me happy, in her opinion. I'm still not sure but my BEST friend told me to move because I'm not happy here. It means a sacrifice from her. I was in tears. We both were. She went away multiple times because she was crying. I just sat here and cried on my arms. By the time I realized there are tissues within arm's reach, I was already gone. I was soaked with tears so I didn't bother. I composed myself at one point, before I actually broke down and I called the local country radio station. The night DJ was on and I asked him if he would "please please please please please play me a song". Of course he made fun of me for "whining" and I said, "No. Seriously, would you please?" So he asks what song and I tell him my sob story. He talked to me for something like ten minutes, whereas most DJ's would have been like "Okay, I'll do my best." He talked to me and when I said something like how the station never played this song when I used to request it he said "Those b*stards!" I couldn't help but laugh. Good thing his bosses didn't hear it. He at one point told me to hold on a second and then he went and did his spiel thingy about what station it is and up next is Sara Evans's new song, Tonight. He came back and talked to me for another minute. Asked if there was any specific time that I wanted it on and I told him I'd probably be listening till midnight (I was). He played it next and then said "That's for Vickey in Penfield." after the song. I told Lindz to put on her radio and she said she wasn't near one. "Too bad. Find one. You've gotta turn your radio on now, hun." She did and she was listening to it. Then I wanna talk about Me by Toby Keith came on. Then Little Moments by Brad Pasiley. The DJ played about 20 mins of songs that I love without him knowing it. So, that is the song that I would sing. I would dedicate it to Lindz. To my best friend. How are we going to deal with it on the day that I move? If I move, that is.

Extra credit: I have never been to a karaoke bar or anywhere with a karaoke set except last Christmas Eve and two years ago on New Year's Eve. My cousin was probably the worse but she was six so nobody can blame her. I'll tell you how the karaoke goes at the lock-in though. I'm SO not singing. Unless they have How Can I Help You to Say Good-bye? I doubt it though. It'll probably be just Christian. Oh well.

Love always,
Vickey

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sniff sniff...you guys have my eyes watering too!!
Some old friends of mine used to do The Beach Boys 'surfin' USA', with one of them lying on the floor as the surf board, and the other stood on his back!!  So funny, but I guess you had to be there!!
Sara   x

Anonymous said...

I love that song.  I remember crying my eyes out listening to it when I moved from the house I grew up in and when my dad died....making me teary now.  You've got a great friend in Lindz!!!
Take care of yourself doll and take it easy ;)
xoxo~B

Anonymous said...

idk what heck that is.... but lindz told me to read it......blah........blah.......i wonder whos reading this












HI